Senior Operations Analyst, Fleet & ITS
Position is open until filled. Submit resumes attention of Mike Tobin, Director of Operations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that physical copies will not be accepted.
The Senior Operations Analyst, Fleet & ITS, plays a pivotal role in the efficient functioning of the Wheels bus system in the Tri-Valley, managing a revenue fleet of 60 heavy-duty buses, and managing Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Transit Applications and back-office software systems used in daily transit operations. The role also includes strategic initiatives, including enhancing agency business and operational processes, implementing new projects, and overseeing various contractors. The role also includes strategic initiatives, including enhancing agency business and operational processes, implementing new projects, and overseeing various contractors. The position requires a strategic approach to ensure safe and reliable operations, customer satisfaction, efficiencies, and continuous improvement in the integration of technology within the organization.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Transit Operations IT Systems:
- Responsible for installing, configuring, and maintaining hardware and software for LAVTA’s ITS programs and systems which includes (but not limited to) Vontas OnRoute, Trapeze FX Scheduling, Dispatch Systems, Fleet Maintenance Software, Viewpoint ITS software, TransTrack, Swiftly, etc.
- Responsible for installing, configuring, and performing maintenance of personal computers, servers, and related software and systems for all LAVTA ITS projects as needed.
- Assists those who design and help troubleshoot LAVTA staff daily operations reports using LAVTA’s ITS programs.
- Coordinates with other departments to gather required data inputs for ITS systems and provides information as required.
- Assist in maintaining LAVTA ITS system performance benchmarks, performs proactive performance monitoring daily, including route and stop surveying, addition, and deletions of stops and trips, and analysis of reports and trends.
- Manages the Agency’s real-time feed.
- Performs standard installations, upgrades and maintenance of software and hardware applications.
- Analyzes LAVTA ITS hardware and communications requirements and provides recommendations and support to management to ensure uninterrupted ITS data.
- Maintains configuration documentation for ITS.
- Maintain accurate data in ITS systems, including Vontas OnRoute and Viewpoint reports.
- Manages the Traffic Signal Priority (TSP) systems on the vehicles, and oversees backend reports, to ensure functionality and accuracy.
- Oversight of O&M contractor to ensure that all farebox and fare collection systems and equipment are properly maintained.
- Cooperatively with LAVTA Staff and the Operations and Maintenance Contractor, manage the fleet of rolling stock.
- Overseeing fleet maintenance operations cost-effectively and efficiently, including recommendations for improvement and/or modifications.
- Collaborate with O&M contractor to ensure timely and comprehensive preventive maintenance programs for the entire fleet.
- Reviewing records keeping and using an Asset Management database to compile and/or analyze all maintenance work orders, labor costs, equipment replacement, fuel usage, oil analysis, campaigns, warranty repairs and other maintenance related data.
- Monitor maintenance schedules and records to guarantee compliance with industry standards and regulations.
- Stay abreast of industry regulations and standards related to fleet technology and maintenance.
- Ensure that all fleet operations comply with relevant laws and regulations.
- Working directly with contractors to ensure compliance with contract terms.
- Managing and updating the fleet management plan.
- Manage the Agency’s Transit Asset Management plan and reporting.
- Responsible for Annual Fleet reporting to CARB (California Air Resources Board), FTA and other government agencies as required by regulations.
- Work with LAVTA’s subcontractors to ensure proper maintenance guidelines are being followed; review and approve invoices, assess liquidated damages and incentives.
- Analyze Fleet replacement options and make recommendations to increase fleet performance and reliability.
- Provides maintenance personnel assistance on reliability issues and corrective actions to improve system performance and attain reliability goals. Coordinates recommendations with LAVTA contractors.
- Coordinate the installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of on-board technologies and equipment.
- Collaborate with relevant departments to integrate new technologies seamlessly into the existing fleet infrastructure.
Project Management & Business Process Improvement
- Serves as the project manager for all technology related system implementations at LAVTA. Identifies and makes recommendations to improve and establish priorities, goals, and objectives for all IT systems.
- Serves as a liaison between vendors/consultants and LAVTA regarding technical aspects of systems; for example, organizes and manages test teams and develops implementation schedules to test new and modified programs, custom changes, and updates/patches.
- Leads all IT related procurements including drafting of technical scope; work with internal staff to create RFP (Request for Proposal) packages; oversee contract award and contract execution.
- Assisting with procurement activities including purchasing of new vehicles, scope writing, and contract renewals related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Analyzes transit software processes, reporting requirements, and technical functionality within systems to develop recommendations and implement improvements to policies, procedures, and practices.
- Ensures contractor compliance with business processes and procedures.
Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to:
- Manages IT Helpdesk support contract and assists vendors with troubleshooting software and hardware failures and identifying network problems related to PC/Server/Network performance.
- Monitoring computer network for security issues.
- Investigating security breaches and other cybersecurity incidents.
- Installing security measures and operating software to protect systems and information infrastructure, including firewalls and data encryption programs.
- Performs standard installations, upgrades and maintenance of transit related software and hardware applications.
- Troubleshoots software and hardware failures and identifies network problems related to PC/Server/Network performance.
- Prepares periodic, routine weekly and monthly reliability reporting and other reports as necessary.
- Maintain system backups and disaster recovery plan.
- Maintain system performance benchmarks and perform proactive performance monitoring on an as-needed basis.
- Maintains and administers user accounts.
- Presents to Board Committees regarding any Fleet and IT related agenda items.
- Represents LAVTA on regional committees.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must demonstrate Transit ITS application experience or demonstrated ability to quickly learn transit ITS applications.
- Must be capable of analyzing and troubleshooting both software and hardware.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding;
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form;
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
- Ability to draft routine reports and correspondence;
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with vendors or employees of the organization.
Vontas OnRoute and similar CAD/AVL systems, Trapeze FX Route Scheduling, MS Windows Server and desktop OS, MS SQL, TCP/IP and network fundamentals, and Microsoft Office applications.
Must possess and maintain a current, valid California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record (periodically drives LAVTA vehicles).
- A working knowledge of Vontas OnRoute, Trapeze FX and ViewPoint is desired.
- A working knowledge of PC operating systems is also required. Requires an A.S. degree or equivalent experience and 3 years of troubleshooting computer hardware and software problems. Microsoft MCSE or MCDBA certification is desirable.
- Prior experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and database administration experience desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Proven experience as a senior IT analyst or in a similar role with a focus on business process improvement.
- Strong understanding of transit agency operations and associated challenges.
- Proficiency in analyzing and optimizing business processes.
- Technical proficiency in relevant technologies and systems.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to collaborate effectively across departments.
- Project management skills, including the ability to lead and execute projects from inception to completion. PMP certification is desirable.
- CalPERS (California Public Employees’ Retirement System) – Plan and employee contribution dependent on any prior qualifying employment
- Authority does not contribute to social security
- 176 hours of general leave time for years 1-5 of employment
- 216 hours of general leave time following the fifth year of employment
- 12 paid holidays per year
- (With one possible exception for health care for which the employee may be responsible for partial payment for coverage, Authority pays employer AND employee contribution for all insurance coverage)
- Employee and dependent health care is provided through CalPERS
- Employee and dependent dental and vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance at 1 ½ times the employee salary
- Professional Development – Authority pays for expenses for attendance at professional meetings in accordance with Board adopted budget